Board of Directors
Our Board of Directors ensure that our school provides the best possible education aimed at developing the whole child. Their role is to: –
- ensure clarity of vision, ethos, and strategic direction for the school
- hold the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils.
- oversee the financial performance of the school and make sure its money is well spent
To help achieve this each director also takes responsibility for monitoring a priority from the School Development Plan and is linked to a curriculum area to ensure that our children are offered a broad and progressive curriculum.
Individual directors also take responsibility for specific areas such as safeguarding, online security and health and safety.
The Board works as a team and are the nucleus of the school. It is important that they make good judgements as they affect the children, staff, and the reputation of the school in the community.
Directors support and challenge the Headteacher by gathering information and opinions, asking questions, and discussing what is best for the school. They are not there to just rubber stamp decisions, they are a ‘critical friend’. They must be prepared to give and take advice and must be loyal to corporate decisions made by the governing board. Provided they act within the law they are protected from any financial liability for the decisions they take.
- 6 Full Board Meetings per year with the dates agreed each June, usually taking place in the early evening, online at present but once safe to do so it is envisaged there will be a mix of online and in person meetings.
- 2 additional meetings per term for School Development Plan and Curriculum links.
- Occasional requests to form one-off panels e.g., for admissions.
- The time to prepare for meetings (reading papers in advance etc.).
An ideal board of directors will include those with a wide range of skills and experience, including business acumen and life skills. We are fortunate that our recent annual skills audit has confirmed that we are well served at the moment, but additional IT skills would enhance us!
Similar to the way the Board of Directors hold the Headteacher to account, our Panel of Members hold the Board to account, receiving termly reports from the Chair of Directors, to monitor that the school is operating per statute and according to the Academies Handbook.
The Members meet three times per year, including the Annual General Meeting. Dates are set in June each year.
We are seeking community-minded individuals interested in helping our school be the best it can be for all our children. You do not have to be a parent of a child at the school as there are various categories of director.
Whilst business management skills (legal, IT etc.) are desirable, the most important attributes are a keen interest in learning about the governance and management of education today and a willingness to commit the time.
We have vacancies for both Members and Directors. Please contact LLayzell@educ.somerset.gov.uk for further information or request a call to have a chat.
Chair – Mrs Pam Macfarlane
Vice-Chair – Mr Jeremy Stuttaford
Clerk – Mrs Louise Layzell
Should you wish to make contact with the Board please do so via the Clerk. She may be contacted by e-mail LLayzell@educ.somerset.gov.uk or via the school office.